Monday, November 14, 2011

The First Appearance of The Gentleman Ghost:

 Hey, I had the scans in my computer, so why not? Guess I'm on a Hawk-roll. Here's "The Ghost" from Secret Origins #1, as originally presented in Flash Comics #88. It's not a great story by any means, and that has to be the worst Joe Kubert art I've ever seen (although the fog-enshrouded visualization of the Tower of London is quite striking), but even the worst Kubert art is better than the best of 80% of the schmoes working today!


 I like how they play around with whether or not the Ghost is really supernatural or not, that's just what any good ghost story needs. You can see why The Ghost would be Hawkman's arch-foe for the rest of the 40s (in fact, his only recurring villain). 'Ol Gentleman Jim wouldn't be revived until 1969 (where he was made into a more three-dimensional character as well), but during the earlier Silver Age there were what I consider slight homages to him:

  Coincidences? Anyway, enjoy. All  © DC comics.




Carter better hope and pray that any angry gangsters with good aim don't have a fetish for acid...






  I love that ending. I wonder how altered it was for the blurb for Wanted? Still, it sticks out. Can you prove that it didn't happen? Remember my friends, future events such as these will effect you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment