Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sing once again with me, our strange duet...

 Tonight we are going to unfold a timeless tale, of the masked fiend who roamed the opera house, and the man who hid behind that mask.
 Yup, that’s what we’re going to do. I just ordered the recently ‘remastered’ 2011 Blu-Ray of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera. However, here’s a comic book story about a masked man terrorizing an opera house that’s well, a bit less than timeless, but it’s still plenty of fun. It’s also the only time I’ve ever read a variation on Phantom where I expected the Phantom figure to burst out singing “Hello my baby, hello my darlin” at any moment.
 From Pep Comics #32, here’s “The Bullfrog strikes again!” featuring MLJ/Archie Comics’ 1940’s precursor to the Punisher; The Hangman.

 This strange duet, however, would be sung once again! You probably recognize them now from my previous post. Here’s “The Crow strikes again!” from Black Hood Comics #14, and no, having a motif based off of a more menacing animal doesn't make the villain any easier to take seriously this time around either:

  Oh Golden Age, you so shamelessly repetitive crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment